Woodgrain Frame Tutorial - SNR Magazine

Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Webster's Pages
Canvas Paper: Strathmore
Overlay: Hambly Screen Prints
Letters: Pink Paislee, Glitz Design
Chipboard: Kiki Art
Notecard: Prima
Paint: Creative Inspirations Paint
Gesso: Delta
Embossing Folder: Sizzix
Other: Cuttlebug, Twine


I created this tutorial and layout for the Creative Inspirations Paint sponsored event at Scrapbook News and Review Magazine last year.  One of my favorite patterns is woodgrain! I have a collection of woodgrain patterned papers and letters, but I do not have any woodgrain frames. I thought it would be fun to make my own woodgrain frame from canvas paper, a woodgrain embossing folder and paint. I love the texture of this frame and the wonderful shimmer added by the Creative Inspirations paints.


Supplies:
Embossing machine
Woodgrain embossing folder
Canvas paper
Gesso
Paint
Paintbrush
Scissors
Tape



Step One: Emboss a piece of canvas paper using a woodgrain embossing folder and an embossing machine.



Step Two: Using a paintbrush, cover the embossed paper with a light coat of gesso.



Step Three: Paint the paper with the colors of your choice. Note: I first painted the flat areas of my paper using my lightest colors of paint. I did not worry too much about painting inside the flat areas of my pattern as the darkest paint color used on the embossed areas covered any stray colors of paint. I used Creative Inspirations paint in Winter Frost, Autumn Wheat, Raw Sienna, Antique Copper and Mocha Latte.



Step Four: Cut the canvas into four equal strips.



Step Five: To create the corners of your frame, line two canvas pieces up perpendicularly and cut through both pieces at a 45-degree angle. Repeat this process for the remaining three corners. Attach the corners together with a small piece of tape on the backside of the frame.



Use this frame on a layout, card or fun off-the-page project. Try using bright colored paints for an exciting twist!

In addition to the frame, I also painted over a pencil sketch photo of my dog.  I had a lot of fun with this project!

Comments

Post a Comment